How do I know if my laptop is throttling thermal?
You can use a tool called ThrottleStop to both check the throttle reasons as well change the PROCHOT temperatures. If its BD-PROCHOT then another component (GPU for example) is sending an alarm to the motherboard triggering the processor to throttle so that the component doesn’t overheat. Usually sharing a heatsink.
What causes thermal throttling?
If you have deliberately set the maximum voltage of the CPU through BIOS or through a utility, then that would naturally lead to CPU throttling due to power limit. Lower the voltage, lower is the clock speed and in turn, lower is the heat generated.
How do I stop my laptop thermal throttling?
Thermal Throttling Guide (Prevent your GPU & CPU from Thermal throttling)
- Disable Obvious Causes (Overclocking or “OC Modes”)
- Enable Low or Balanced Power Modes.
- Set An FPS Cap or Turn on V-Sync.
- Thoroughly Dust Your PC.
- Improve Case Cooling With Proper Case Fan Setup.
- Undervolt Your Graphics Card or Processor.
How do I stop my laptop throttling?
If you use Windows 10 Pro, it’s also possible to disable Power Throttling using the Group Policy Editor.
- Open Start.
- Search for gpedit.
- Browse the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management > Power Throttling Settings.
- Double-click the Turn off Power Throttling policy.