Have you came across a file with the .dmg extension and you don’t know what it is? Perhaps you know what the file is, but you simply don’t know how to open it. Don’t worry! This article explains everything about the .dmg file extension, how to open and work with it on various systems.
What is a .DMG file?
The file extension .DMG is from Apple Disk Image.The development of this file was done by Apple. This
What to know
There are currently 4 software that can open the .dmg file on 2 platforms.
How to open a .DMG file?
Below you can find an easy to understand, step-by-step guide to open the .DMG file on your operating system/device.
How to open a .DMG file on Windows (7, 8, 10)
To open the .dmg file on Windows, please follow these 4 easy steps.
Step 2: Locating your .DMG file
2. The second step is locating the downloaded file. The file can be usually found in your /download/ folder if you don’t remember where you have downloaded it to.
Step 3: Choose “Open with”
3. In the third step right click on your file and choose “Open with”.
Step 4: Choose the software and click ok
4. After choosing the “Open with” option, you will have an option to choose the 7-Zip software you have downloaded. Choose your software and click on “OK”. That’s all, now you have opened your file on Windows.
How to open a .DMG file on Mac
Below you can see a visual guide on how to open the .dmg file on Mac in 4 easy steps.
Step 2: Finding your .DMG file
2. The second step is locating the downloaded file. If you don’t remember where you have downloaded your file to, you should check your /download/ folder as it usually gets automatically saved there.
Step 3: Clicking “Open with”
3. In the third step, after locating your file, right click on it and click “Open with”.
Step 4: Choosing the software to open your file
4. After choosing the “Open with” option, you will have an option to choose the Apple Disk Utility software you have downloaded. Click on the software and click “OK”. Congratulations! You have opened your file on Mac.
Still cannot open the .DMG file?
If you cannot open the .DMG file, it is entirely possible that you are trying to open the wrong file. The .DMG file extension is similar to other file extensions such as: